Tuesday 18 November 2014

Rock Steady feature: Spotlight on Alton Ellis

'Alton Nehemiah Ellis, better known as Alton Ellis, was born on September 1, 1938, in the Trenchtown area of Kingston, Jamaica.
He was a prominent singer, songwriter, producer and concert promoter, referred to by many as the "Godfather of Rocksteady," a romantic, R&B-styled Jamaican music genre. Ellis died of multiple myeloma, a form of bone cancer, on October 11, 2008, at the age of 70. [Source]

[Guardian Obituary]











Most people have a favourite Alton Ellis. song. Quite often.. it's this



Sometimes they say it's this..



Sometimes they may even say.. this..



Even this



Me?... Tough call..
I think Alton Ellis was an amazing talent, and has left us with some truly great music.
Alton Ellis was a Rocksteady King .in an era that produced a very unique sound in Reggae music's history.

Growing up I loved Alton Ellis.. and this song in particular... although the version by Delroy Wilson will always have a place in my heart.
Now Delroy Wilson... he was another outstanding talent.. ( will profile him another day)

Today is all about Alton
As much as I liked this track there was one I liked even more and to me was quintessentially Alton...


A very stylish singer





So which tune did I like even more?...yes, it was and remains...RockSteady





1 comment: