Monday 28 April 2014

Story of a work of art in Hackney - ft Aswad: Zion

This evening, In preparing for my research, I decided to immerse myself in the sounds of my childhood.
Aswad encapsulated what it was like to be black and british growing up.. for me.. in my world.. in my side of town
You know this already.. but music, really has been, and remains, a big part of my life.

There are so many singers and musicians that I could mention, but Aswad.. was truly my band. We loved them... I loved them.
I remember seeing them one year at the Nottinghill carnival, on the Meanwhile Gardens stage. Fire. it was amazing.
I have no recollection of how we got home, I think we sailed home on cloud nine.

I had a band myself back then and we modeled ourselves on Aswad, which may seem strange as they were all boys, and we were all girls!.
Our manager at the time, was an old time friend of Brinsley Forde, so we were able to go backstage at the Dominion theatre and meet them. We were young, and it was an amazing time.

Listening to these tunes tonight got me thinking.. yet the words struggle to get through.
I'll try.. if not..
maybe tomorrow..

You see.. there are numerous memories.. but this post is really about something, or someone else.

The song Zion, touched me this evening, and I'll tell you why.
Our keyboard player was the daughter of one of the most amazing musicians I've ever met. he played the saxophone, but also, the flute..and Zion, features... a very beautiful flute. Whenever he joined us for rehearsal, he simply added a touch of magic to our music.. so much so, I will never forget. A little like when Jackie Mittoo joined us.. theses guys had an extra-extra, special gift.

Yes..had

You see.. Globe died suddenly one day.. and it shocked us all

Jah Globe, as we called him, is the saxophonist in the Mural located in Dalston, Hackney.

..and every-time I walk down that road, I see him..
and as I do so, I remember, a truly gifted man, my friends, and our band



Seems this post was really about, Jah Globe





About the Mural


This mural is painted on the exposed flank of a four-storey late 19th century end of terrace building on Dalston Lane. It was originally designed by Ray Walker and depicts the Hackney Peace Carnival of 1983. It was painted by Mike Jones and Anna Walker in memory to the muralist Ray Walker (1945-84)who passed away midway through the painting of it, leaving Mr Jones to complete the painting with Mr Walker’s widow.
Its depicts a street parade through a Hackney streetscape containing anti-nuclear, CND, anti-war, green, feminist, anti-racist, pro-tolerance images in wake of the 'race' riots of 1981.


This mural was painted as part of the Greater London Council's 'Year of Peace' initiative. In November 1982 the group 'London Muralists for Peace' was formed. This group was commissioned to create six murals in London with the theme 'Peace through Nuclear Disarmament'. It was painted by the wife and friend of the well-known muralist, Ray Walker, who died, aged 39, in 1984. This is a well-loved local landmark that reflects the diverse community of Hackney and its radical political past.

Partial source Hackney Citizem [click]

hackney Peace Carnival Murial [click]

No comments:

Post a Comment