Sunday 18 December 2011

At a crossroads.. in more ways than one..ft Morgan Heritage..

Where do we go from here?..
Now there's a question..

Inspired I guess by this song, by recent conversations and blog posts.. a theme seems to be emerging in it's many varieties, and that's being at a crossroads.

I recently blogged about weaves and black hair. looked at things from both sides.. ish.
Now I often feel that women really are the backbone/s of nations. Women are often gifted with amazing insight and intuition ( often unrealised in themselves) and in ways that are often overlooked. They are 'the bedrock of families across the globe)

My brother drives.. but as his car had broken down he had to get the bus. He said to me not that long ago that not one black woman who came on to the bus had their own hair on display.. ( and no.. it was not covered by any form of religious apparel)

I like to feel that as a woman I understand women.. to a point.
However, I do not wonder why so many of us do not like our own hair...do not feel our own hair is beautiful enough to be seen in public.
I understand it on many levels

I'll throw in an odd observational statistic and say that 8 out of 10 adult women wear weaves of some other 'self altering' head gear.

This is not a judgement .. or a critisism...just an observation

However, if we as women do not see the beauty in our own natural selves, or in our culture.. who else will?.. and how will, or could that self negation impact on our family structures or 'communities'

Chilled Leo recently said that even if Beyonce performed 'weave less' she would still be as popular'
To be honest that's one of those hypothetical claims ( I often make) that can't really be answered.
One thing I would say on that is, some of those 'head flicking' dance moves would have to change:))..

Remember Lauryn Hill? It's my personal view that one of the aspects of Lauryn's popularity was not only her amazing soul filled/pain filled voice.. but her naturalness... her natural appearance... her hair.
It was... re-fre-shing!!
Truth is ladies.. the world can see your.. or our beauty
But often.. we fail to see it in ourselves..
So... just where do we go.. from 'hair'

Enjoy what inspired this post...
Morgan Heritage Happy SMSx

disclaimer.. this post is not referring to anyone with a medical condition or 'problems' with their hair

/em>

No comments:

Post a Comment