Saturday 12 November 2011

Remembrance Day: Fighting a war on two fronts; the African American/ B.C Soliders who fought in WW1/2

Yesterday was remembrance day.. when we honour and remember those who fought, and died in WW1 and WW2, although.. the day has also been extended to remember those who have fought in more recent wars..

I don't normally wear a poppy but for some reason this year I actually gave it some real thought. I thought also about my great great grandparents, uncles, who may have fought in the war and how very little I know about them

The racism we see today in to some extent, is possibly mild in comparison to what these soldiers would have experienced..
Britain says very little about black soldiers from the Commonwealth who fought in those wars.. let's hope a moment of that minutes silence was in honour of them to..

Fighting a war on both fronts were the Buffalo Soldiers




African Americans were subject to terrible discrimination which also meant they were often ill equipped with the resources they needed to fight




So.. we remember them too... and how odd it must have been to fight alongside, and for a country who treated them often, as subhuman, with little respect or care afforded to them or thier family..
To be segregated into all black regiments..
What an odd, terrible, shameful, yet fascinating time in our history..
We remember them..




I found these very interesting videos, which (although brief) I hope gives a little insight into the African American, Black British WW1 WW2, and American civil war experience







In 7 parts..




Episode 7



*****

2 comments:

  1. great post and love the videos. its a part of our difficult history with Britain that gets white washed and dis-remembered. I had two great uncles fight in WWII and remember their stories about racism and segregation in the ranks, stories I didn't understand till much later.

    so will I wear a poppy? only if it matches my shirt and suede shoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. you funny:)

    I try asking my mum ( have to pick my moments) but all I get is.. "I don't know 'bout that!?!"

    or.. "what you want to know for!?!.. "errr mum!! hello!!.. have we met!?!"

    truly fascinating stories I think.. some really brave people
    the love for England was so great in the colonies.. what a 'head banger'

    How confusing it must have been for them also..

    ReplyDelete