Friday 16 September 2011

Sick feelings.. tough tactics.. and the christmas countdown..

As the weather fluctuates between hot and cold.. so does my temperature..*sick* I'm coming down with something that I really need to shake off over the coming days. Still, it's nice to wrap up warm and cosy and just watch something entertaining sometimes.

I've met some nice people this week, which has kept me ticking over, and am looking forward to the coming weeks/months.

****
A story that had me undecided this week was the story of a headteacher who sent home over 100 children on his 1st day at work for relatively 'minor' incidents..

The disciplining of students can be difficult for many reasons.. one being that some parents take offence to anyone other than them disciplining their child. I've heard cases of parents going into schools to argue with teachers, ( in front of their children) even if their child was in the wrong!

I'm not suggesting parents shouldn't challenge teachers who they feel have acted unfairly or inappropriately, but preferably in the right way.. with thought.. and not if the child/children have clearly misbehaved.

The reason I'm undecided on this headteachers actions was because he'd previously taught in prisons, and I wondered if perhaps he was confusing 'prison' with 'schools..:D

To be fair, from past observations, children do seem to respond very well to rules and discipline.
There's an old Caribbean saying.. 'Don't spare the rod and spoil the child!'..
Times change I know, but If I were to generalise, I'd say parents are much softer now than ever before.. and I'm not sure why..

Someone said to me recently that parents over compensate if they feel their child/children are missing out in other areas
in other words.. any guilt parents may feel are masked through the buying of gifts.. and extra freedoms.. hmmm not sure but I understand the point..

****

Saw my 1st Christmas advert today.. the countdown has begun..
Christmas is such a romantic time of year.. all those fairy lights and soppy music
Bring it on..

2 comments:

  1. I'm just not ready for Christmas this year.

    That's a lot of students to get sent home in one day. Sounds like someone was having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 97 days and counting:)
    I like the way the most people are nicer to each other at that time of year ( at least it feels more relaxed) not keen on the packed shops etc!!

    Yes, I could well believe he was having a bad day:)..that does sound excessive doesn't it?.. :)
    I suspect he wanted to make an impact - be seen as a no nonsense head maybe - well..he did that alright!!..

    ReplyDelete