Thursday 15 September 2011

Racism & homophobia in nursery and primary schools?

I've just finished watching a discussion on TV and apparently, there have been a large number of racist and homophobic incidents between children at nursery and primary school

Nursery and Primary School?
Speak to the parents I say

Whilst I know that kids can pick up so much from TV,. and other children also...
I think it's more likely what's being said at home..
I'd like to know what's being said at nursery to warrant this concern.. seriously.. the mind boggles..

Many of the children will be too young to really understand what they're saying, but in time they'll get it..and it could become part of their character and belief system if not nipped in the budd..
But if the parents are responsible...??

5 comments:

  1. It's a big problem isn't it? I couldn't agree more that much of the homophobia and racism as well as downright ignorance is rooted in the home. How on earth do you begin to tackle that?

    I frequently hear children today say things like ' That's so gay' - it is unlikely to be something they have heard on TV.

    I just don't know how you combat this? Rory finds himself speechless, a rare event.

    Rory

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a tough one Rory!. Maybe if they dont already do so.. schools can invite parents of those children in to 'discuss' or even attend specific workshops in the hope of changing hearts and minds..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children definitely learn this type of ignorant behavior from their parents. Hate is a universal constant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in Scotland last year Dawna - Waiting in a queue (must have been a Post Office then). Anyway a kid (maybe 6 or 7 yrs old) asked his Dad if he could 'get something' - only to be told 'Shuttup you fuckin' idiot, grow a brain.'

    My heart breaks for kids like that because before you know it they will be using disparaging remarks to others as it's the norm for them to hear them - and that's before you consider their sense of self-worth, esteem etc.

    I agree that intervention of some sort is necessary - but it's a fine line between that and stepping over it.

    I sometrimes wish I'd been an accountant and had no interest in society :( It hurts the brain.

    Rory

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad, I do feel it for kids in those situations.. what a thing to say to a child!

    I know what you mean Rory.. it sure can hurt the brain!

    ReplyDelete